shifter - Environment Containers for HPC¶
shifter is a purpose-built tool for adapting concepts from Linux containers to extreme scale High Performance Computing resources. It allows a user to create their own software environment, typically with Docker, then run it at a supercomputing facility.
The core goal of shifter is to increase scientific computing productivity. This is achieved by:
- Increasing scientist productivity by simplifying software deployment and management; allow your code to be portable!
- Enabling scientists to share HPC software directly using the Docker framework and Dockerhub community of software.
- Encouraging repeatable and reproducible science with more durable software environments.
- Providing software solutions to improve system utilization by optimizing common bottlenecks in software delivery and I/O in-general.
- Empowering the user - deploy your own software environment
- Shifter Frequently Asked Questions
- Shifter Recommended Practices
- Updating Shifter
- Installation Guides
- Installing Shifter on a RHEL/Centos/Scientific Linux 6 System
- Installing Shifter on a RHEL/Centos/Scientific Linux 7 System
- Installing Shifter on a RHEL/Centos/Scientific Linux 7 PPC64LE System
- Installing Shifter Runtime in Cray’s CLE 6.0UP01
- Manual installation of Shifter with GPU support
- Image Gateway Deployment Options
- Advanced Topics
- Security Considerations with Shifter